2018 Nissan Leaf Already In Production - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

2018 Nissan Leaf Already In Production

Still awaiting its U.S. market launch, the new 2018 Nissan Leaf is already in production at the company’s assembly plant in Smyrna, Tennessee. In fact, the first completed vehicle has already rolled off the line since production began yesterday.

Expected to hit Nissan showroom floors nationwide in January 2018, the next generation Leaf will start at $29,990 before incentives. Not bad for an all electric vehicle with a driving range that could exceed 150 miles on a single charge. That’s the EPA-estimated range, though the European testing body release a more generous cruising range of 235 miles.

A single electric motor powers the car, delivering 147hp and 236lb-ft of torque. To fully charge its 40kWh battery pack, the Leaf will need to stay plugged into a 3kW plug for 16 hours or 8 hours with a 6kW plug. If that seems too long to you, there is a quick charging feature that should charge the battery from 0-80% in 40 minutes.

To sweeten the deal even more, CarScoops says the Leaf “offers the company’s semi-autonomous Pro-Pilot Assist technology.” Their Pro-Pilot system allows for single-lane autonomous driving, meaning it controls acceleration, braking and steering on highways. The Leaf will also be getting Automatic Emergency Braking and e-pedal technology.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Glad to know that this is the case because I really want to test drive one at my local dealer or even better at some upcoming auto show but so far they have been quiet on if/when that will happen. Chevy did this when the Bolt was coming out, it will help if Nissan follows in that lead.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Nissan has already delivered their 300,000th Leaf and I expect the number to drastically increase once the new one goes on sale as well. The Leaf is just a great vehicle that's been overlooked and because of this, we're probably going to get better deals.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:27 PM

I have a feeling that younger car buyers looking to get an EV will prefer the Bolt over tech-related features like the bigger screen the Leaf has. Hard to ignore that especially when it also improves the vehicles interior design.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 01:19 PM

I think the Model 3 will be a barrier to Leaf sales being as much as they should because often Tesla has gained the appeal that Apple products have which in this day and age means a lot for a brands bottom line. Nissan doesn't have that going on for them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page