2018 Nissan Leaf too little too late - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

2018 Nissan Leaf too little too late

So there a bunch of early reviews pouring out for the new Leaf, and for the most part they are impressed with the improvements made upon the outgoing model. For all of its successes however, they all seem to suggest that the Leaf fails in driving range, a key metric of EV's. We've known that the 2018 model is only EPA rated for 150 miles of range, and imo that should satisfy the needs of regular commuting. Still many think its best to save your money for whatever battery improvements will be made on the 2019 model. Do you agree?
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:45 AM

As much as I do like the Nissan Leaf, that short range is holding me back though we have no idea when the next gen model with longer range is going to come out, especially when the gen2 has just been released. Luckily I'm in no hurry and the alternatives (Bolt and Tesla) doesn't appeal to me so I can wait. Maybe test driving the current leaf will be enough to change my mind.
Nissan has made a perfect electric vehicle, just lacking in Range and if they could somehow extend that soon with a range extender or something then it would be a strong competitor.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:03 AM

Its sort of odd that Nissan would be satisfied with the poor performance improvements from the outgoing Leaf. Considering how many automakers are joining the segment, you'd think they would have put a little more focus into matching what's currently on the market. But hey they have the best selling EV, so range must not be a deciding factor for most buyers.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 09:55 AM

From what I hear, the new Nissan Leaf is on track to becoming Norway's best selling car this year, not just the best selling electric car in that country. But the rumors of a better battery system in 2019 are just that, rumors. So most will go with whatever is available now.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage View Post
From what I hear, the new Nissan Leaf is on track to becoming Norway's best selling car this year, not just the best selling electric car in that country. But the rumors of a better battery system in 2019 are just that, rumors. So most will go with whatever is available now.
well one fact is they have to live up to some aggressive range numbers that rival brands have going on already.
so there's a lot of pressure to keep up and not fall behind the competition.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I think the only reason why the original Leaf sold as well as it did, was because there was very little competition in this segment at the time. Back then people weren't so focused on range numbers and performance like we see in the market today. It was just cool to have an electric car.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:22 AM

Yeah unfortunately the Leafs rivals have raised the bar for expected performance figures, and we may see the impact it's shorter range has on sales. It is important to keep in mind that there are a lot of standard options on the Leaf, including some semi-autonomous systems that are expensive add ons for other brands.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:48 AM

Nissan is expected to add a 60-kWh version for 2019 and it should deliver around 200 miles per charge. But that's another year down the road unless they're referring to the model year which in case means a sale date sometime this year.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

If their 2019 model only delivers 200 miles, the Leaf is only going to fall further behind its rivals. Not sure why they are having difficulty in matching the performance of others EV's on the market, but there is no way that crossovers and CUV's should be beating out the Leafs range by such a large margin.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 AM

They probably should have just held off on the redesign until they were able to increase its performance by more substantial figures. I don't think with all the competition in the segment this time around, that the Leaf will be anywhere close to the top in terms of sales.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page