Gen 2 Leaf Passes Safety Test - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Gen 2 Leaf Passes Safety Test

Each market usually performs their own tests and the new Nissan LEAF received a full five-star safety rating from the Japan New Car Assessment Program. From what I can understand, passengers are very well protected in case of frontal and side collisions, probably due to the Leaf's rigid body and safety equipment like seats with enforced headrests and back frames. They even have crash test videos: JNCAP?Car Assessment - Detail of tested Car
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:49 PM

The last Leaf got 4 stars in frontal crash tests which if you ask me isn't that great especially when the cabin area was compromised a bit. Hopefully this time around it won't happen, that would be a deal breaker for me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

The offset frontal collision test is a hard one to get a full 5 stars on because of how much force is put on a small area. Most cases I'd assume you won't manage to crash exactly in that tiny corner of the front bumper, but this shouldn't be a concern anymore as the new Leaf scored a 5 out of 5 even though the damage looks extensive.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage View Post
The offset frontal collision test is a hard one to get a full 5 stars on because of how much force is put on a small area. Most cases I'd assume you won't manage to crash exactly in that tiny corner of the front bumper, but this shouldn't be a concern anymore as the new Leaf scored a 5 out of 5 even though the damage looks extensive.
Still a big concern for me because once that area of the vehicle structure goes, all you can depend on is hope.
Plus, even if its not you in control of that sort of impact, if you get rear ended hard and pushed into another vehicle, you'll be glad it did well in frontal tests.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Seeing as how many people bought the original leaf, its safety ratings obviously weren't a deal breaker for most. It looks like the new generation of Leaf has improved upon your concerns and I can understand how important safety can be to certain drivers. Most people don't "plan" on getting into an accident, so the safety ratings seem to rarely factor in to a new vehicle purchase.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Getting a 5 across the board is very impressive and if you crash hard enough where the safety ratings don't really apply anymore then there's really no hope for the Leaf or any car. Otherwise, the Leaf is very safe but it would be nice to see a picture of the foot well for cabin intrusion.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage View Post
Getting a 5 across the board is very impressive and if you crash hard enough where the safety ratings don't really apply anymore then there's really no hope for the Leaf or any car. Otherwise, the Leaf is very safe but it would be nice to see a picture of the foot well for cabin intrusion.
Combined with active safety systems we get even more of an advantage in accidents via ProPilot, this will be one of the safest compact vehicles on the market without a doubt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page