ProPilot Assist - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

ProPilot Assist

It would seem that the next generation of the leaf is coming with an Auto Pilot system, similar to what's found in a Tesla, but at a fraction of the price. It is also rumored that in the next year, it will be joined by ProPilot Park, allowing the vehicle to select an empty spot and park autonomously.

Last edited by Zero; 01-23-2018 at 09:14 AM.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:24 AM

I think ProPilot Park is only useful in an ideal parking lot where everyone is parked perfectly and there aren't already people sitting around waiting for spots to open up. What we need is the auto parking system that automatically parks the car after you've found the spot yourself.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage View Post
I think ProPilot Park is only useful in an ideal parking lot where everyone is parked perfectly and there aren't already people sitting around waiting for spots to open up. What we need is the auto parking system that automatically parks the car after you've found the spot yourself.
Very true and I think some of the confusion around this tech has to do with demo's people have seen, most of these a long shot from what we will get in production cars soon.

Audi was one example of this:
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

How much time does this actually save you? I'm curious why auto park is marketed as a selling point, when I just don't see how useful it will be on a daily basis. I'm a little weary of pushing a button on my car and leaving it to go park itself with no issues. Who's at fault should something go wrong? I can see parallel parking assist to be useful, as most people are pretty bad at it, and you remain in the car for the process.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 11:50 PM

I've had my 2018 Leaf SV with Tech Package/Pro Pilot now for about 3 weeks. So far pretty darn impressed for urban freeway traffic, commuting about 31 miles each way. I was worried it would turn itself off below a certain speed, but it does not. It brings the car to a complete stop if the HOV lane is stopping or slowing. Tonight I noticed that it had a harder time keeping track of the lane because the sun was almost down and the yellow side stripes, as well as white lane lines were not a bright in a section of this highway in Phoenix.

Having said that, I've got a couple good friends with Tesla Model S and autonomous feature. We drove from Phoenix to Las Vegas last year (can't do that even in the new extended range Leaf) using mostly all autonomous driving. I would put it very close to par with the 2018 Pro Pilot in the Leaf.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:06 AM

This system is one the key selling points for this model imo, especially at this kind of price point. Nissan has already outlined that they have a roadmap over the next few years to make it capable of functioning within intersections as well, via software updates.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:42 PM

greatest thing of all is how streamlined it can be with other systems even those that aren't from car makers because it comes down to data and programming that in

of course at some point hardware will come into play but we can't discount the data aspect of it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:30 PM

The hardware is already in place. Similar to what Tesla has done with their models, all of the sensors and kit has been implemented, and we're merely waiting on the software to be developed to support them.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 PM

Even the hardware has to be improved because it influences what software can and can't do much like your PC or Smartphone compared to something above or below it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page