Some quirks/questions - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Some quirks/questions

Hi,

I've only had my new 2018 Leaf for 1 week, and have noticed some quirks which I'm wondering about...

- Temperature indicator. The temperature displayed seems to be quite off and I'm wondering if it's supposed to be showing the internal cabin temp or the outside temp as most cars show. Since it's really hot right now in southern cal, I get inside the car and it's showing temperatures a lot higher than the real outside temp

- HD Radio FM station song info. I've noticed that the info isn't updating and sometimes doesn't even show the song info. Seems like a bug in the software?

- EV Connect set cabin temp. I'm still trying to figure this one out. Is there like a "timeout" for it, that it stops cooling? Since it's very hot now in southern cal, the cabin temp will easily get very hot, and if I use the iPhone app to set the temp, I notice that it doesn't stay on too long (even with plenty of battery charge) and the cabin temp doesn't go down significantly. Should I try to time it so that I send the request no more than maybe 15 minutes prior?

thanks for any info!
Ricardo
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:57 AM

Its been noted across a couple different forums that some of the gauges on the new Leaf aren't 100% accurate. I'm guessing that there are still some updates to the software that Nissan needs to push through. And the climate control function has been a common complain for NissanConnect. There are still lots of improvements that need to be made to it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Their Connect app is pretty terrible, and I'm expecting a serious overhaul of it, considering how many new Leaf owners there are. Luckily the issues you've noted are software related and can easily be fixed.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:20 AM

Welcome. And yes it does seem like the remote climate control is under some sort of timeout restriction. As you've suggested this is probably a safeguard to prevent wearing down the battery.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 04:19 PM

Has anyone else been caught out with the auto dimming below 30mph? Might make sense in a built up area but around country lanes, suddenly having you lights dip as up go round a bend is very unnerving, bordering on dangerous.
It won’t switch back to high beam until you get above about 35 but on a dark lane, one can’t. Only option is to slow right down and switch to manual. Would be nice if the speed it dims at was configurable.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:46 AM

I agree that it shouldn't be speed restricted. There will be plenty of people driving on back roads at lower speeds that will still need to make use of proper high beams. Wonder if that's something that Nissan can adjust with an update.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:13 PM

Often systems like this are tuned differently to meet requirements of certain markets. Odds are there's some option already to adjust it, question is if they'll do it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:36 AM

If it becomes a common complaint/safety issue you can bet that Nissan will push through some kind of update for it. Although I doubt this feature is restricted to the UK, I haven't heard any other mentions of it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 10:24 AM

Climate Control Timer info

I went through the user manual and while I haven't yet verified it's operation, here's some key points that are stated:

-If you remotely turn on the climate control (just on or off, not using the timer), it can be operated for a maximum of 2 hours when the vehicle is plugged in, or 15 minutes if the vehicle is not plugged in.

-The timer function allows you to set the time that you want the vehicle to reach a certain temperature, or in other words what would be your departure time. For example, if you set it to 70 deg. on Monday at 6:00AM, it will figure out when it needs to turn the climate control system on (based on the current temp inside the vehicle) so the vehicle reaches 70 deg at 6:00AM. It will also shut the system off at 6:00AM because it's expecting you to depart at that time. It probably makes sense to set it for an extra 5-10 minutes beyond when you expect to leave in case you are running late so it won't shut off.

-On battery power specifically, the timer function won't run for more than 15 minutes.......so it may not be able to adequately cool down or warm up the car for the time you set.

Hope that helps
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:37 AM

Thanks for that update. That's a good failsafe for it to vary depending on whether or not the car is plugged in. Sounds like you may need to set a shorter window @rkleemann .

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page