Backorders continue to rise - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Backorders continue to rise

With so much interest growing around the new Leaf, some markets may actually begin to experience a delay in deliveries. In early March Nissan had indicated that around 19,000 around the world had the car on order, and now it looks like the number has increased to over 35,000. If Nissan isn't able to keep up with the growing demand for their latest EV, we could begin to see shortages that are already being experienced in various places throughout Europe.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:34 AM

Hopefully all this demand means that we'll see the larger battery pack offered sooner rather than later. I think a 200+mile range and a proper cooling system, would help to cement the Leaf as the segment leader.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:02 PM

Model 3 is already out and showing up on street in strong numbers. Not a good time for Nissan. Hard to beat Tesla when they do the best job of attracting the demographic that buys in this segment.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

The only Model 3 that's currently available is the $60k, high range variant. I don't think Nissan has anything to worry about until Tesla begins production on the entry level $30k model. And with how behind they are with orders, that could still be months away.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 09:50 AM

Well they did finally hit their goal of producing 5,000 units a week, but we'll have to see how sustainable that figure is. Though I don't think that even at that number that the Model 3 is profitable. According to this site the Model 3 produced $68 million in negative gross profit during the first quarter of 2018.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

I don't think Tesla has ever been profitable since the companies inception. They've demonstrated just how difficult is it to build a car company from the ground up. Hopefully with consistent Model 3 production, they can begin to work towards profitability.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 PM

They have however are building a brand and in the process are attracting investors, that helps brand value which when done right with great products, results in profit. It just takes time.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 AM

I mean when was the last time you saw a new automaker in the industry? One that actually survived past the concept stage. All the big names have been around for decades, so you cant really compare them to the likes of Tesla.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Tesla has to be applauded for what they have accomplished in such a short period of time. Keep in mind that most of the big manufactures have been around for nearly a century, and I would imagine that they struggled to make a profit for a good portion of their early years.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 AM

Not only has Tesla demonstrated that electric vehicles are the future, but they have also set some very high benchmarks for competing manufacturers to meet. If they are able to sustain model 3 production and improve upon their build quality, they will continue to be one of the most popular EV brands.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page