Japan unveils police fleet of Nissan Leafs - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Japan unveils police fleet of Nissan Leafs

It looks like a Japanese police department will be among the first to utilize the new Leaf as a part of their fleet. They took deliver of 22 Nissan Leafs earlier this week, which will be used for public relations and patrol vehicles. EV's are becoming increasingly popular with police departments around the world, as we saw with the LAPD's purchase of BMW i3's. Hopefully these models are put to better use.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 AM

As great as these green initiatives are, do they actually consider whether or not their vehicles will have enough performance for pursuits? I know that electrics have great acceleration off the line, but I cant but wonder how they will fare on the highway.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 AM

I'm guessing fleet sales makes up a large portion of overall sales in Japan, probably how Nissan managed to sell more than 100,000 Nissan LEAFs in Japan since the model first went on sale. Think they recently passed that milestone thanks to the new Leaf model. But It's going to be a paint for the cops if they have to constantly recharge their cars because patrols can go on for hours.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it doesn't seem like the most practical choice for a police vehicle, although I can understand them wanting to reduce emissions with how much time their units are on the road. In Japan I know they now have more electric charging stations than petrol ones, so I don't think range anxiety is much of a concern over there.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:21 AM

If this electric fleet is going to be successful anywhere, its in Japan. It seems like that fleet of BMW i3's in LA was more of a marketing campaign, than an actual interest in converting to eco friendly police vehicles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Yeah it doesn't seem like the most practical choice for a police vehicle, although I can understand them wanting to reduce emissions with how much time their units are on the road. In Japan I know they now have more electric charging stations than petrol ones, so I don't think range anxiety is much of a concern over there.
Given the fact that police need a wide range of vehicles, those Nissan Leafs have their time and place. Same can be said for what North American police forces use. The motorcycles they use
for example aren't exactly the best for the job, instead the Europeans got it right:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page