Just a little further - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Just a little further

In my opinion the weakest aspect of the leaf is its lack of range. Although its nearly a 40% jump from its previous model, 150 miles just doesn't seem like much. Perhaps in a world where it doesn't have to complete with the likes of the chevy bolt (which is capable of 238), I think Nissan still has a ways to go.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
In my opinion the weakest aspect of the leaf is its lack of range. Although its nearly a 40% jump from its previous model, 150 miles just doesn't seem like much. Perhaps in a world where it doesn't have to complete with the likes of the chevy bolt (which is capable of 238), I think Nissan still has a ways to go.
That depends on who you ask and what that person has to put up with on a day-to-day basis. Often these EV's do better in highly populated areas that have the sort of buyers/market primed for getting them, hence why you see California and similar states being the first to get these. To them the Leaf gets more range than required.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:26 AM

If it wasn't for the Bolt and Tesla Model 3, the 150 miles would seem enough and maybe revolutionary, setting a new range trend. But that's not the market the Leaf is coming into and now people have higher expectations because of what rivals are offering for a similar price. So the longer range Leaf needs to come as soon as possible.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Well I can guarantee that in the next few years 150 miles will be on the low end of range offerings. With almost every car manufacturer having plans to release and EV model of their current lineups, it'll be a race to see who can create the most affordable and efficient electric. I suppose this all relative to where you live as well, as some countries aren't up to par with the infrastructure needed for EV's i.e charging stations.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage View Post
If it wasn't for the Bolt and Tesla Model 3, the 150 miles would seem enough and maybe revolutionary, setting a new range trend. But that's not the market the Leaf is coming into and now people have higher expectations because of what rivals are offering for a similar price. So the longer range Leaf needs to come as soon as possible.
I doubt it because these days car makers need real reasons to sell these which can only be done with a practical product. When you can only short commutes or have to plan a lot when you have to charge up, its a problem. Now as EV's go mainstream car makers need to cater to broader needs that owners have.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

As with any new technology, its bound to evolve throughout its lifespan. It's still relatively early for EV technology, so I'm sure with all the bold electric plans from the likes of BMW and Mercedes, we will see a huge shift in the standard range and efficiency of batteries. Lets hope countries are planning for this shift towards electrics as I know at least in Canada that the amount of charge stations is severely lacking. Even if they do offer cars with a much higher range, you'll waste it trying to find a place to charge up. I know the U.S is way ahead with their EV infrastructure.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
As with any new technology, its bound to evolve throughout its lifespan. It's still relatively early for EV technology, so I'm sure with all the bold electric plans from the likes of BMW and Mercedes, we will see a huge shift in the standard range and efficiency of batteries. Lets hope countries are planning for this shift towards electrics as I know at least in Canada that the amount of charge stations is severely lacking. Even if they do offer cars with a much higher range, you'll waste it trying to find a place to charge up. I know the U.S is way ahead with their EV infrastructure.
They won't have choice with electric cars becoming the new standard for the automotive world. No matter where you look there's always some information supporting the move to EV's. Everything from at a government level to what car makers have decided on currently and years from now.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

I was simply implying that the incentive for Canadians to buy into EV might be lower than those in the US due to the disparity in charge station availability. From what I've seen online there are approximately 45,000 stations in the US and less than 7,000 in Canada. Though this is likely to change in upcoming years, its going to be a huge investment to reach a similar milestone. This infrastructure should be built upon now, before all these EV's come to market.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I was simply implying that the incentive for Canadians to buy into EV might be lower than those in the US due to the disparity in charge station availability. From what I've seen online there are approximately 45,000 stations in the US and less than 7,000 in Canada. Though this is likely to change in upcoming years, its going to be a huge investment to reach a similar milestone. This infrastructure should be built upon now, before all these EV's come to market.
How dependent do you think people will be on charging stations? With all the range EV's today are getting it will be very normal for people to charge up at home with little regular need for charging stations. But that's just covering most main concerns people have which is if they can commute to and from work and all the other regular commuting everyone needs to do.

Don't discount the fact you can charge at home.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

I mean for those who plan on only using their car only for commuting to and from work and around town sure. But what about when you need to travel out of town, up north to the cottage or to visit family, that's when the lack of charging stations becomes a factor. I'm sure in the next few years as electric technology continues to advance, that range limits will become much less of a talking point.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page