Road tripping in the Leaf - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Road tripping in the Leaf

Looks like the people at InsideEV's wanted to determine whether or not the Leaf is capable of a proper road trip or if its restricted to local commuting. Their trip took them on a 350 mile journey from Monterey, California to Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Mountains. It seems from the article that the Leaf had no problem making this trip and that range anxiety is a thing of the past. It also looks like the rumours surrounding the problems with successive quick charges are unfounded.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:43 AM

They didn't use quick chargers more than twice per day, which was the rumored limit Nissan put on the new Leaf without anyone knowing. This concerns me more: "This second QC in two hours elevated the battery temp to just left of the red mark on the temperature gauge." That's after the second QC they made on the first day, so a third one would have made the battery overhead from what I understand.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:58 AM

Nissan will have to make improvements to the cooling system, if these kinds of issues are being found on brand new models. What's going to happen as these components begin to wear? I don't know if there is going to be any way for them to issue some sort of recall to retrofit a better system, but I see there being some serious complaints down the line.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:40 AM

I may just wait a year before pulling the trigger in case Nissan rolls out some new tech or update to reduce overheating when using QC. It'll be even worse in the summer months when ambient temperatures can be in the 20s-30 and you have a hot battery to boot.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

It is a little surprising just how well the Leaf is selling in the UK, despite the fairly inadequate range in the winter months and now possible overheating issues in the summer months. Perhaps these problems are much less severe than various car publications are portraying them to be. We'll have to wait on some long term updates.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 AM

I think its selling well mostly due to its low base price and incredible standard kit. Most people probably aren't researching the platform too in depth, where you start to come across these shortcomings. There are some reviews that are indicating the new Leaf is "showing the Bolt how its done", which is pretty inaccurate to say the least.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

The Bolt has vastly superior battery tech and performance, but that comes at a cost. I think Nissan is trying to orient the Leaf as a cheaper electric alternative. If only they hadn't had to sacrifice battery life as a result.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 01:18 PM

Branding is part of it as well and as it stands people still view Nissan in a positive light compared to American brands. That alone gives them a slight advantage.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:02 AM

Unfortunately Nissan wont be able to rely on the badge alone to help them remain at the top of the segment. Once more competitors begin to enter the segment and with better specs we're likely going to see a shift in the popularity of the Leaf. Hopefully they've got some mid cycle improvements planned.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page