ProPilot auto parking - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

ProPilot auto parking

Nissan has an amazing self parking system and I didn't know just how impressive it was until I saw this video. In some tight spots when it has trouble detecting the spot, you can even select the space manually!

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 AM

It really is impressive, how much technology Nissan is offering in the new Leaf. All of these semi autonomous features aren't easy to come by in the market, especially at the Leafs price point. The Leaf seems to be a great car for those commuting around the city, with all of its driving and parking assists.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
It really is impressive, how much technology Nissan is offering in the new Leaf. All of these semi autonomous features aren't easy to come by in the market, especially at the Leafs price point. The Leaf seems to be a great car for those commuting around the city, with all of its driving and parking assists.
They have to in order to stay competitive since we are living during a time where the industry is at its peak in terms of what's being offered. Not only does Nissan has Chevy to worry about but also Hyundai and the Volvo. Nissan can easily fall off a cliff if they don't get their products together.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

This testing in an empty parking lot is all well and good, but what about a public lot with other cars driving around while you're trying to park? Would it detect those cars and adjust its approach angle accordingly or would it outright stop until the other car passes?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 09:26 AM

You would think that most people would only use the parking assist for parallel parking, but that's a good point about traffic. Seeing as how its semi autonomous system isn't capable of driving within the city, I think its safe to assume its not designed to park with moving traffic either. And I know its a safety thing, but am I the only one who might get impatient waiting on this thing to park itself? Moves rather slowly.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage View Post
This testing in an empty parking lot is all well and good, but what about a public lot with other cars driving around while you're trying to park? Would it detect those cars and adjust its approach angle accordingly or would it outright stop until the other car passes?
From what I can make of all the information out on it so far is that, it just does one thing and isn't dynamic in any way.
So once it sets that box for where it wants to park then that's all its focused on.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeaf View Post
From what I can make of all the information out on it so far is that, it just does one thing and isn't dynamic in any way.
So once it sets that box for where it wants to park then that's all its focused on.
I wonder if that means that it wont stop even if it detects something with its collision system, such a nearby passing car. I think its safe to say that the semi autonomous features in the new Leaf, still require some improvement. But its hard to ignore that they come at no additional cost.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:13 AM

Luckily as cars these days are more computers than anything else, at least automakers can release updates to the cars software. So as Nissan gathers more driving data from owners, they can make improvements to the various autonomous systems. I just saw the other day a real time live map that Mercedes plans on releasing for their vehicles. This new system has all vehicles communicating with each other in real time, providing updates to traffic conditions and changes on the go.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I wonder if that means that it wont stop even if it detects something with its collision system, such a nearby passing car. I think its safe to say that the semi autonomous features in the new Leaf, still require some improvement. But its hard to ignore that they come at no additional cost.
It all comes down to understanding the system in its exact application, car makers will always outline what it should/shouldn't do. Once we do that making the most of this tech will happen. Real world testing is a large part of it, not always easy to fully understand it just on paper.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page