Autopilot on a budget - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Autopilot on a budget

The second iteration of the leaf is coming with its own version of Tesla's autopilot. Its semiautonomous, meaning you still need to keep your hands on the wheel, but early previews suggest there is very little correcting required. It also features adaptive cruise control, allowing you to drive with your feet off the pedal, even responding to congested traffic right down to 0mph. Its believed by 2020 to be capable of negotiating city traffic scenarios.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 07:30 PM

I won't mind having this tech if it means lower insurance rates on our cars because being the safest drivers on the road has to mean something. on the flip side some components might be so expensive to replace that some insurance companies use that as a reason to mark up rates.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

From what I've seen Tesla owners have been able to secure lower insurance rates from certain providers with its Autopilot feature, so that's a possibility. If that becomes standard across all vehicles who offer an autonomous driving system, its quite the incentive for new buyers. Even though personally, I'm not a huge fan of having a car drive for me, I'm not going to say no to cheaper ownership.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 AM

I don't think adaptive cruise control is enough to lower your insurance rates. Tesla has automatic brake system and sensors keeping track of cars in front of you to make emergency maneuvers when needed. Additional safety features may lower insurance, but not really cruise control.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I don't think from what the Leaf offers in terms of semi autonomous driving systems, that it qualify for the same sort of discounts that Tesla owners have access too. Its unfortunate as one of the biggest barriers to entry in the EV market is the associated costs and I'm not sure how much longer the government will be offering tax incentives.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 06:52 PM

The way i see it is those incentives are only good enough for encouraging people during a time where people need it more than anything. As EV's become cheaper and more of a requirement then we will see those incentives disappear. At least that's the way I see it. Not everything last for ever and so does tax breaks from governments.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Well there wont be much need for tax incentives, if the starting price is less than where most EV's currently sit. It's not an easy sell to convince someone to buy into a new kind of technology, and for $30k no less. With the big plans for electric from the likes of BMW, were sure to see cheaper models come from their competitors.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Well there wont be much need for tax incentives, if the starting price is less than where most EV's currently sit. It's not an easy sell to convince someone to buy into a new kind of technology, and for $30k no less. With the big plans for electric from the likes of BMW, were sure to see cheaper models come from their competitors.
Its easier these days since everyone is trying to save the world in any way they can, everywhere you look people are reminded they need to do something and with that comes influence in what they buy. Eventually it will come down to consumers buying these because they have to, eventually the government will put pressure on those owning gasoline cars.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I don't think there are as many environmentally conscious people as we'd like to see. As the biggest segments in the industry right now are pickups and SUV's, its clear not everyone is concerned with emissions. It's obvious however the pressure being placed on manufacturers as they are implementing hybrid technology into pickups and shortly thereafter SUV's. Eventually gasoline/diesel cars will be banned outright, and I wonder just how strict emission limits will become up until that point.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 04:03 PM

Test drove an SV with tech package...and the pro-pilot sold me. I was surprised at how good it did at holding speed, distance from other cars, keeping me in my lane. It was very surprising and I would definitely say it's autopilot on a budget.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page