2018 Leaf Safety Features - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

2018 Leaf Safety Features

It's one thing to read about what kind of safety features the Leaf has and another to see a visual representation of what's happening when you use ProPilot. Nissan UK uploaded a video showing off their ProPilot system and regenerative braking.

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 10:22 AM

I hope that the regenerative braking feature is adjustable like it is on similar brands such as the Bolt. I know the new Leaf has the "e-pedal" driving mode that increases the regen braking but I hope it can be adjusted regardless of the driving mode that you choose.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 02:29 PM

Anyone who wants a more well refined driving experience will like this far more than the Chevy Bolt. Way too many owner are reporting the one pedal driving is too jerky and its not something easily resolved. GM is still working on it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

i'd love to test the ProPilot auto lane keep system in a safe environment, just because I've never experienced it. Is there a maximum speed which the system will work at because the highway is where it'll be used the most.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM

I don't think any of these pilot assist programs are designed to work very efficiently within the city. From what I remember reading, Nissan is hoping to have an autonomous system that works within city traffic in the next few years. I've had vehicles that had a lane departure warning notifications, but never anything that self corrected.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I don't think any of these pilot assist programs are designed to work very efficiently within the city. From what I remember reading, Nissan is hoping to have an autonomous system that works within city traffic in the next few years. I've had vehicles that had a lane departure warning notifications, but never anything that self corrected.
I hope Nissan has some way to gather information on these systems we use much like what Tesla does since that will speed up the rate at which the tech improves. Without that they will fall behind and won't get real user feedback on a mass scale. Or they can always just buy all the information Tesla has to make it easier.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Most are designed for freeway usage, but how effective they are is another matter. I've heard that some systems have trouble keeping the car in a straight line instead of going from side to side on one lane. I'd assume Nissan would have worked out that bug by now.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:49 AM

There are so many variables when it comes to autonomous driving within the city. Not only does the car need to be aware of other vehicles, but also pedestrians, bikes and public transit. I recently saw that Google has filed for a patent around autonomous car to pedestrian communication, which might mean self driving cars will have awareness of you based on the location of your phone. While I like the idea of ensuring personal safety, I'm not enthused by the proposition of another tracking system.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page