Leak spied with 60kWh pack - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Leak spied with 60kWh pack

It looks like the rumors that Nissan is currently developing a larger battery pack for the Leaf are true, as some new photos have just leaked online, which show it testing at a charging station. If you look closely you can see that this new model is being charged at a rate of 102kW, which is roughly twice as fast as what's offered in the current model. Early reports suggest that this new variant will be matched to a 160kw (215hp) electric motor and a 11-22kW onboard charger.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:28 AM

Glad to see that charging voltage has been increased, because we are starting to hear complaints of the throttled charging on the 40kWh. Did not anticipate the significant bump in power output, as I believe the current model only has 147hp on tap.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 05:38 PM

Faster charging is great but what it does to how Nissan configured the battery is what i will be looking out for. In the end I will want a way to charge that'll be sustainable for years to come.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

While there is no way to confirm from this picture whether or not some form of cooling system has been used, I think Nissan is well aware of the growing complaints around "rapidgate". And a faster Leaf will most certainly pose a bigger threat to the Chevy Bolt.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Well Chevy has recently announced that charging times in the next generation Volt have been decreased by half. It's those kind of improvements that current EV owners are interested in, as it significantly improves the practicality of these vehicles.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

I would expect as we moved to solid state batteries and quick charging stations continue to increase their output, that charging times will become much more comparable to traditional ICE fuel up times. That is the one advantage that hydrogen technology has, but I think we're still aways off from seeing that implemented on a large scale.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 AM

I've actually seen some companies that are offering hydrogen fuel cells as an additional power supply in EV's, which may the smarter route to go for now. They are incredibly energy efficient and are really only being held back by a lack of infrastructure.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

As promising as fuel cell technology is, its vastly more complex and expensive than electric, and it still requires many of the same components. I know that auto makers have to pass some very rigorous tests with safety in relation to hydrogen cars, but I know that's still a point of concern for consumers.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Well its not very comforting to know that there are hydrogen air sensors placed in the vehicles to monitor any possible leaks. And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Mirai like a $60k car? That makes it pretty obvious that the components for these systems are still very expensive to produce.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3alth View Post
Well its not very comforting to know that there are hydrogen air sensors placed in the vehicles to monitor any possible leaks. And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Mirai like a $60k car? That makes it pretty obvious that the components for these systems are still very expensive to produce.
Fuel Cell vehicles will slowly be on their way out.

Once you combine price with the latest in what most car buyers want, people come rushing.

The Tesla Model 3 is one great example and you can bet that big plays in the auto industry won't let Tesla have all the fun

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page