New study finds that 30-kwh battery decline is steep - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

New study finds that 30-kwh battery decline is steep

A new study of 283 Leaf batteries, has recently discovered than there is a higher rate of cell capacity loss in the 30-kwh battery packs than what was found in the 24kwh batteries. At two years of age, the average rate of decline for 20kWh Leafs was 9.9% a year. That's roughly three times the rate of decline from what was found in 24kWH Leafs, which averaged 3.1% a year. Obviously these findings are up to interpretation, as we don't know how exactly the batteries were tested. Regardless its something that current and future Leaf owners may want to keep an eye on.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:59 AM

I think a contributing factor would be how hot your location gets. Don't recall which electric model, but certain cars sold in high temperature locations saw faster battery deterioration, more than that was listed and the manufacturer was getting sued because of it. So it could be a concern if you live somewhere that's hot all year round. I'd like to see where they got the data from as well because this is concerning and you wouldn't want to get stranded somewhere a few years down the road with substantially lower range thanks to cell capacity loss.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:57 AM

Well even if the weather was a big factor, 10% loss a year is unacceptable. I thought a couple years ago that Nissan upgraded its warranty to guarantee 70 percent charge holding capacity for 5 years/60,000 miles? Wonder why there is such a significant drop off in battery life after two years.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

There are a lot of factors that contribute to battery degradation, including how often you charge, the kind of charger you're using and how of course how you drive the vehicle. Similar to the advancements that's been made in batteries in other electronics, its safe to assume that large improvements will be made in coming years, that will help to ensure a greater lifetime of EV batteries.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3alth View Post
There are a lot of factors that contribute to battery degradation, including how often you charge, the kind of charger you're using and how of course how you drive the vehicle. Similar to the advancements that's been made in batteries in other electronics, its safe to assume that large improvements will be made in coming years, that will help to ensure a greater lifetime of EV batteries.
Very true and I think for that reason people need to look at the numbers being report and deduct maybe 10-15% percent of that over the span of a typical ownership term. 3-4 years down the road I won't mind getting battery degradation in that range. Anything more will raise a lot of concerns.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:18 AM

I think one of the biggest concerns in relation to loss of battery life, is the hit that comes with colder weather. It looks like the Leaf doesn't even make half of its projected range in colder conditions. I know this problem is evident across all EV's, but 100 miles of range just wont suit the needs of most drivers, and that's on a brand new battery.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:14 AM

That's to be expected with all EV when it comes to cold weather; heater, winter tires, snow, etc. All these contribute to reduced mileage. You can definitely try extending it by not turning on the heat, but what's the point?
At least if degeneration is low, that mileage will come back in the summer when all you have are the windows open. The main concern is not seasonal, but the 9.9% reduction per year. That's concerning with a new vehicle when other companies boast that number over a few years instead of one.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

That huge hit to battery life isn't until after two years of ownership, so hopefully Nissan can rectify the problem in the meantime. I don't know why the degradation is so severe in the Leaf when its been reported that a Tesla Model S loses less than 15 percent of its battery capacity over 150,000-miles.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:12 AM

I know its hard not to compare electrics to the likes of Tesla, but you're talking about a $30k car versus a $100k car. I'm sure the Leaf would have much more comparable equipment if it was being sold in a similar price bracket. And I feel like this issue with multiple quick charging has been largely exaggerated, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the kind of sales we are in the UK.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Yes that's true that there is a big disparity in price between the two models, but the fact is that they are both brand new electrics. Nissan can't just accept serious faults with a brand new product because its a cheaper alternative to rivals. With how many models they are selling, some of these problems could lead to significant recalls.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page