New study finds that 30-kwh battery decline is steep - Page 2 - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:10 PM
aaz

Nothing is free! The reason the Tesla has such good battery capacity retention is because it has extra capacity from the start. When you buy a 80 KW Tesla you are actually getting a 90KW battery and that capacity is not accessible until it's needed in the future. I am not sure they will keep this with the Model 3 but most likely they will as it reduces owner griping about something that every EV owner should know about but does not.

Having said that, I do wish Nissan would fix the software so that I have a 80% charge limit on the battery that would be relaxed over the years of ownership so that I can get more consistent range and not charging batteries to full always definitely helps them not lose capacity down the line, as the last 20% charging is the hardest on them. Since LIon batteries don't have memory it's ideal to keep them in the 20-80% range at all times if your driving pattern allows it - and mine definitely does at about 20% for one commute day.

This could be a software switch in the settings like Tesla has where it asks you if you want to enable maximum range or battery conservation? Such a simple thing and everyone's a winner.

Last edited by aaz; 05-27-2018 at 08:16 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Well Nissan has yet to disclose what exactly is causing the battery issues in the Leaf, and for all we know it could be alleviated with a software patch. There is no proof that the problem is the result of a lack of thermal management system either.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 AM

I don't really know what else it could be. It is odd that this problem wasn't an issue on the previous gen model though. I suppose the larger battery probably increases in temperature much more quickly, and as a safety measure is restricting charging voltage.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:18 PM

Voltec platform that Chevrolet has is a tough one to beat. I have a feeling that if Nissan doesn't react fast and swift enough they might have to partner up with a bigger brand.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Well considering how many Leafs have been sold in the UK, Nissan is going to have to figure out some sort of retrofix, if battery life does present itself as a common complaint. There is no way that the tens of thousands of new owners are simply going to accept a brand new EV that can't be successively quick charged.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:34 AM

Guess Nissan had to figure out some way to reduce battery degradation without improving the cooling system. Here's a graph showing how many early Leaf batteries experienced premature degradation. Wish they went with a liquid-cooling system.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page