Nissan 6.6kwh vs 7.7kwh wall charger at home? - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZStad

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Nissan 6.6kwh vs 7.7kwh wall charger at home?

I just got my 2018 Nissan Leaf SV with Tech Pkg today and am already diving in.

I need to setup my home for at home Level 2 charging and have two options:

1. Stick with the included Nissan plugin cable, which from my research is 27.5 amps / 6.6kwh, charger

OR

2. Use a Leviton 32amp / 7.7kwh charger I had for a previous EV in a previous home

It seems the Nissan Leaf wall chargers, like they have at the dealership, are also 7.7kwh, so I'm thinking I install this in our new home and keep the cable in the trunk if I need it for one the road charging *just in case*.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leviton.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	12   Click image for larger version

Name:	nissan.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	14  
St3alth likes this.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:10 AM

The difference is fairly negligible here, so I doubt you'll see much of an improvement with the Leviton system. Not sure if Nissan has indicated for there to be any issues for going with a third party charger. Personally since you already own it, id go with the 32amp setup.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:29 AM

So long as Nissan supports the use of other chargers, I'd probably go with the higher amperage system as well. Have you had the opportunity see what difference there is (if any) in regards to charge times?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 AM

I'm betting that the number of third party charging systems is going to rapidly begin to increase. Everyone is currently working to maximize the efficiency of these systems in an afford to bring charging times down.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Update:
I did some research and decided to install my original Leviton 32 amp / 7.7 kwh charger. The power is basically the same as the Nissan branded wall chargers. And I had it sitting in a box in my garage - which allows me to keep the Nissan charger that came with the Leaf in the vehicle for a "just in case" need.

I've also been tracking what the Leaf estimated charge time is based on the 6.6 kwh charger. I was concerned that the vehicle might limit the charge to 6.6 so the larger unit wouldn't make a difference. But it does. My notifications of fully charged come is significantly sooner than what the Leaf estimates on the dash.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venucia View Post
I'm betting that the number of third party charging systems is going to rapidly begin to increase. Everyone is currently working to maximize the efficiency of these systems in an afford to bring charging times down.
if that holds true I don't think it would be unreasonable for car makers to endorse or even approve of certain charger brands
aside from waiting for that to happen, looking to the specifics of these system can all but confirm their OEM worthiness.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZStad View Post
Update:
I did some research and decided to install my original Leviton 32 amp / 7.7 kwh charger. The power is basically the same as the Nissan branded wall chargers. And I had it sitting in a box in my garage - which allows me to keep the Nissan charger that came with the Leaf in the vehicle for a "just in case" need.

I've also been tracking what the Leaf estimated charge time is based on the 6.6 kwh charger. I was concerned that the vehicle might limit the charge to 6.6 so the larger unit wouldn't make a difference. But it does. My notifications of fully charged come is significantly sooner than what the Leaf estimates on the dash.
Out of curiosity what's the average charge time that you are seeing with the Leviton system? That's good to hear that a more powerful charger is actually yielding noticeable results.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Out of curiosity what's the average charge time that you are seeing with the Leviton system? That's good to hear that a more powerful charger is actually yielding noticeable results.
I'm not exactly sure, but it is beating the dashboard estimate by a landslide. I'll start documenting it the next few days/evenings and report back on estimated (per Leaf dash) vs. actual based on notification of full charge via app notification.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:45 PM

too bad it seems publications don't do extensive enough testing of these systems as they come out which is what consumer really need but can't always do themselves.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page