Nissan has quietly upped the price of battery replacement - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Nissan has quietly upped the price of battery replacement

For the past two years Nissan has offered first gen Leaf owners the opportunity to swap out their factory battery pack with a brand new one. In North America this cost around $5,499 everything included. According to a new report this cost has now been raised to $7000 plus parts and labor, which for the most part will match the value of the whole car. Not sure if Nissan is doing this intentionally to try and push customers into the new model.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 08:32 AM

This is pretty disappointing to hear, especially since they've chosen to do in it secret. It's not like they can attribute it to battery/material costs either because we know those have been dropping.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:04 PM

I have seen articles that suggest car sharing services with used cars will be on the rise and as such car makers will want a piece.
Refurbishing older Leaf's and selling it back can be profitable.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:07 AM

To me it seems like Nissan is trying to phase out the first generation model. While I don't think they should have made this change in secret, I doubt in the future that EV owners will be holding onto their cars for 8+ years.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
To me it seems like Nissan is trying to phase out the first generation model. While I don't think they should have made this change in secret, I doubt in the future that EV owners will be holding onto their cars for 8+ years.
Its tough to say how long people will hold onto these but there's always a segment of buyer that do and of course there's a used market that absorbs them.
If reports of these having better reliability and less servicing than ICE cars hold true, its even more of a reason to hold to them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

There is no reason not to hold onto new electrics long term, especially with battery replacement programs like this in place. Battery degradation is really the only reason why an older EV would require replacement in the first place.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:33 AM

Its also the advancements in technology that would force owners to consider an upgrade. But since Nissan has already announced that they will be developing their Pro Pilot system in stages, I would imagine they can push those through in software updates.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:34 AM

Ya, similar to Tesla I'm sure all of the sensors and equipment are already been place. They simply need to open up the functionality for it to work in more dense traffic. I would imagine that Nissan is also gathering driving data from all current owners to get a better sense of habits.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:57 PM

Tesla, like some German car maker, might not want to take the risk especially during the launch years of a vital product to the brand.
Personally, i would only like to see them make these changes in response to what other car makers do, Tesla already has the edge.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page