Leaf Promoting Solar Charging - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Leaf Promoting Solar Charging

This only applies to those of you in Japan as Nissan is promoting a free solar panel installation deal for people sign up for an electricity retail plan offered by Ecosystem Japan. According to electrek, "The offer is part of a joint campaign by Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. and Ecosystem Japan. It aims to promote the use of clean energy to power the 100% electric Nissan LEAF."

Not a bad deal even if you have to buy the panels yourself.
https://electrek.co/2017/12/28/nissa...new-2018-leaf/
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 AM

I support this idea although its too bad that those of us in North America will have to wait for brands like Tesla to come out with a solar based home charging system.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

There are charging systems out there in North America, but they aren't partnering up with manufacturers as far as I know, so these deals won't be available unless Nissan sign on with a large solar provider.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage View Post
There are charging systems out there in North America, but they aren't partnering up with manufacturers as far as I know, so these deals won't be available unless Nissan sign on with a large solar provider.
So far Tesla Powerwall is in its infancy and much like the current state of EV's its appealing more to people that want the latest in tech. Where the system really starts paying off is years down the line. If Tesla can capture enough of the market then I think they can work out partnerships.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Although I love the idea of a renewable energy source, I'm curious as to how many people will opt to reconfigure their home for a car. I mean if you plan on holding onto it forever sure, but I don't think the average person holds on to their car long enough to warrant such an install. Id love to see some sort of solar panel built into the car itself.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Although I love the idea of a renewable energy source, I'm curious as to how many people will opt to reconfigure their home for a car. I mean if you plan on holding onto it forever sure, but I don't think the average person holds on to their car long enough to warrant such an install. Id love to see some sort of solar panel built into the car itself.
First it will take an affordable home system that will clearly save them money in the short term and long term but most of these home system (and even extreme ones like what Tesla sells) pay off over the long term. Right now you have to love tech more than you love saving, saving right now is minimal.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:34 AM

I agree that most people getting into EV aren't doing it in an effort to save money. But the likelihood of someone purchasing a new electric car, could be increased dramatically if they knew they could adopt a whole sustainable system, rather than just a piece. With all the different manufacturers hoping on the electric scene, I'm sure we'll soon see some pretty smart/needed advancements in tech.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page