Hypermiling in the new Leaf - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Hypermiling in the new Leaf

Just read an article that indicates one owner was able to get 202 miles on a single charge in the new Leaf. He said simply by setting autopilot to a maximum speed on 65 mph and setting the distance setting to 1 bar, this is easily achieved by letting the car drive itself on the motorway. I believe the average range of his entire trip was around 185 miles, which is still pretty impressive. Doesn't look like he charged more than once a day, so no idea if he would have seen a throttled down charge rate. Check out the full overview from the road trip here.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 AM

Those are some impressive distances that the new Leaf was able to achieve and it doesn't look like it was too involved to help it get there. I think for the most part we'll be seeing owners keep to the speed limit on freeways anyways. Unfortunate that he only had the car for two days, because I would have been interested to hear his long term impressions.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I think for any experienced EV owner, they could easily get above the Leaf's 150 mile range. With regenerative braking and one pedal mode, its not too difficult to maximize the battery's efficiency. I don't know why people are so obsessed with range anxiety on electrics. People need to transition away from what they use in a week with ICE's, to what they'd use in a day with electrics.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 AM

Even if the Leaf is capable of more than 150 miles on a charge, that still doesn't erase the fact, that Nissan outlines fast charging is intended to be used only once during a trip. This problem wasn't seen on the previous generation model, and its going to lead to a lot of unhappy customers considering how many units have been sold already.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Begs the question on whether or not Nissan should've focused on being one of the cheapest options, as their lack of tech seems to be coming back to bite them. Though I suppose once the car's been sold that they've already made their investment back. Wont do their reputation any good however.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Begs the question on whether or not Nissan should've focused on being one of the cheapest options, as their lack of tech seems to be coming back to bite them. Though I suppose once the car's been sold that they've already made their investment back. Wont do their reputation any good however.
Nissan just lacks strategy.
They did an amazing job on the Nissan GT-R but flopped on most other products. Slowly they're turning Infiniti around but too slow compared to rival brands.
Nissan needs new execs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 AM

I think it was just a simple oversight, as this wasn't a problem on the previous gen Leaf. They must not have anticipated this problem simply by offering a larger battery pack. Though I cant imagine that they didn't do proper road testing before it was released.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:12 PM

IMO strategy is where its at and they lack it. While other car makers are talking about higher segment EV's, Nissan has remained quiet. They need more EV's to diversify their vehicle line up and what can be offered with each EV.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

How many automakers are currently offering more than one EV? Not many. And Nissan has already shown off concepts for their next electric, which looks to be a crossover of some kind (IMx).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page