Rapidgate test - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Rapidgate test

Just came across this video from Car Mania, that set out to determine whether or not these reports of charging issues with the new Leaf are true. The video is really long, but he basically found that it takes closer to 2 hours to charge the Leaf to 80%, as the charging station was throttled down to 19kW as opposed to the standard 50kW, right from the get go. He also found that from a longer highway trip that the battery entered the red zone for temperature.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:31 AM

so it's not starting from the third charge, but the first one? That just renders fast chargers obsolete when it comes to the new Nissan Leaf...
With electric cars, it's mostly about the battery size and charge time for most buyers so this could put a huge dent in sales.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:42 AM

Yeah I just recently watched a bunch of videos related to this issue, and it seems to be quite common that successive quick charging only made matters worse. I know Nissan has indicated proper thermal management for the upcoming 60kW model, but they need to find a fix for current owners as well. Even if there was some sort of retrofit way to have the air conditioning cool the battery.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:41 PM

Maybe this will deter people from buying this generation Leaf and wit for the next one when all of these problems are fixed. Fast chargers are the next frontier along with longer range batteries and it would be a shame if Leaf owner's weren't able to utilize those charges to their full capacity.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I was originally hoping that these reports we're being exaggerated, but it would seem that some of Nissan's cost cutting strategies are coming back to bite them. Luckily there are the first company to over refurbished batteries, so if any owners run into significant issues, Nissan could have a temporary solution there.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:46 AM

Owners of brand new EV's shouldn't have to be looking at refurbished batteries this early on. With how many new Leafs that have been sold already, this problem isn't something that Nissan will be able to ignore. Perhaps they'll have to make a standalone cooling system that can be attached to the car.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Well lets hope that some of the problems can be improved via a software update, because this issue wasn't evident on the older generation Leafs, which also did not have a thermal management system. And I don't think it is wise for them to offer a larger battery until they have ironed out the issues on the 40kWh pack.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:52 AM

Yeah it is pretty odd that this issue is new to the "improved" Leaf, when its pretty obvious that most of the technology in it has taken a big leap forward from the last generation. Don't really understand how upgrading the battery by 10kWh resulted in these problems.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:56 PM

Not good for the brands bottom line and its things like this that will continue to set them back. Once bigger brands like Toyota and Honda step in Nissan will be pushed even further back. Thankfully i'm sitting on the sidelines.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

I mean this problem isn't really going to be noticed by the average owner whos simply using the car to commute back and forth to work. You are really only going to experience these kinds of problems on longer road trips, which for the most part I don't think people will be doing in their Leaf.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page