Rapidgate test - Page 2 - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:19 PM

These days there are more people living farther away from city centers that still commute into the city for work, as that's where all the jobs are. So its still important to an extent especially when you consider all the mileage they have to put on outside of just going to work and back.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:41 AM

Well its for that reason that new buyers need to be conscious of what exactly their EV will be used for. Its for this reason that we often see people start with a hybrid car before moving on to a full electric. A lot of future EV's are projecting 300+ miles though, so that should be enough to largely eliminate range anxiety.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:11 AM

A Leaf enthusiast called Bjorn live streamed his trip in the new electric vehicle. Unedited, it runs for a few hours but he does get a chance to test out the Rapidgate problem and found that the battery approached 50C after its first fast charge session even though the outside temperature is sub-freezing. That's worrying when it comes to hotter climates.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

I am a little curious why so many people have placed orders on the new Leaf, without doing their due diligence on the new platform. I suppose you don't expect to see these kinds of issues on the worlds best selling EV.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:33 AM

I think most people don't dig as deeply into new models as us. I do like to do extensive research as most of my cars are purchased out the door and not leased or financed, which means it'll last me for years to come and I wouldn't want something riddled with problems.
Still sitting tight for now on the Leaf while looking at what other brands have to offer.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 AM

It'll certainly be interesting to see how Nissan handles this issue, if it does indeed end up becoming a widespread problem. It's going to be extremely costly for them to issue a recall considering just how many units have been sold already. And I don't know how they would go about retrofitting a proper cooling system.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page