Nissan Leaf Rapidgate Charging Scandal - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Nissan Leaf Rapidgate Charging Scandal

It looks like the Leaf has been having issues with range and battery capacity after multiple quick charges. It looks like the number of times the Leafs battery can undergo a quick charge within a certain a mount of time is actually restricted by Nissan and owners have dubbed the issue 'Rapidgate'. If quick charging is used more than twice in a day, the Nissan quick charger will throttle the charge capacity by up to 50% in some cases. While this shouldn't be a problem for anyone who uses the car for regular commuting, those who want to take longer trips may find things difficult. Nissan has claimed the reason behind the slower quick charge times and lower charge capacity, is in an effort to conserve battery life.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:56 AM

That's going to make a lot of people think twice about buying a Leaf now, including me. I'm guessing they don't want people claiming a new battery pack under warranty if it loses a certain percentage over a number of years. This just makes me wonder how bad their battery pack quality is if Nissan had to resort to this. I know their firs gen Leaf was notorious for battery degradation issues, but I thought they would fix the problem instead of mitigating it like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:55 AM

The Leaf has already been criticised for having a lot more restrictions around the battery, than what's found in the Bolt. Luckily I don't think this problem will affect most owners, as its unlikely you're going to be charging the car multiple times a day. Did Nissan not say they plan on offering a more powerful battery pack for the Leaf in the future?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

There have been rumours that Nissan is considering a bigger battery pack, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will have a better battery life. They need to resolve this issue around quick charging and implement a proper liquid cooled system.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:34 AM

If they can find some way to offset the extra weight then it will do a lot for the Leaf but I doubt we will see that happen. However it would be a great way to target a number of different buyer types.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:23 AM

The 60-kwh pack that's found in the Chevy Bolt is the just as big as what's found in Tesla's Model S. That additional weight hasn't seemed to make much impact on the overall range of Chevy's electric. Surprising that the engineering at Chevy seems to be further along with EV's considering how long Nissan has been with the technology.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 11:20 AM

Think the scandal has something to do with the dip in U.S. Leaf sales? Nissan sold around 1,500 Leafs in March but only around 1,000 in April.
Would be nice if the automaker gave us an extended factory warranty for the electric drive components to ease our battery worries.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

I just think there are so many alternatives here in the U.S that people aren't as quick to decide on the Leaf. 1,000 units a month is still pretty substantial, especially for a new model. I think here in North America people are still too concerned with range anxiety than in other parts of the world.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 01:57 PM

Range anxiety is slowly going away, but that's with longer range models. But the Leaf caters to people who just needs a daily driver and not a long distance runner, so the range offered is fine. But the Leaf will improve over time to catch up.
For now, they're losing some buyers who need around 250 miles.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:05 AM

For whatever reason people have become far more concerned with range, than they ever were with it in gasoline models. I'm not sure if this has been reinforced by a lack of knowledge around EV's or perhaps the higher entry price. Do people really need more than 150 miles of range on a daily basis?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page