OVO launches new smart charger for Nissan Leaf - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

OVO launches new smart charger for Nissan Leaf

Energy supplier OVO has launched the world’s first vehicle to grid charging system for the Nissan Leaf. This new bi-directional car charger, allows EV owners to charge their cars and also feed power back into the grid, while getting paid for it. This smart 6kW vehicle-to-grid (V2G) charger will charge the car when energy is at its cheapest and any surplus energy in the car’s battery can be sold back to the grid when demand is at its highest. Properly managed, OVO says that it could lead to zero charging costs for an electric vehicle. The company also claims that their new system should also increase the longevity of the batteries that use it.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:56 AM

So it drains the car during peak hours around 4-7pm and then charges it after 7pm? I suppose that's a good idea so long as the car can be fully charged in the morning and your power grid allows you to sell electricity back to them. But I assume this loophole will be closed soon because there's less money to be made by the power grid.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 AM

I don't think that it actually drains anything from the car battery during peak hours, just surplus electricity. And I think that we will find that hydro rates will climb as will the range of peak hours, as more EV's begin to hit the market. Systems like this could pay for themselves in no time.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 AM

The car doesn't produce electricity, so what surplus energy they're talking about will need to come from the full battery and that will drain it over time. Only other way I can think of to sell surplus energy is via solar panels.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Well this new system will be rolled out this summer for up to 1,000 Nissan electric vehicle owners as part of a two-year trial. Their use of the word surplus is a little confusing, as it implies that there is some secret stash of electricity hiding in your car. It definitely drains from the battery, and I'm curious to what extent.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:30 PM

I think its smart to give power back to system when required during peak times because that means better management of power. Cost is always a concern and just the cost of buying an EV these days is something to really consider, its not cheap but at the same time within reach of most folks with decent careers.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:53 AM

Its basically using the same idea that Elon Musk has with the powerwall. The best way to justify an electric car, is if its completely free to run and charge. Look forward to seeing the trial run, as I'm curious how much money you can actually make by selling electricity back to the grid.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Chargers like this are going to become increasingly popular as we see a rise in hydro rates as more electrics come to market. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a large spike in the charging rates at public stations as well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:39 AM

Companies like OVO should find ways to make themselves different from Tesla and any other up and coming companies because its the only way to compete, otherwise people will be going for the elephant in the room which is Tesla. A comprehensive collection of products and services should do just that
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:08 AM

Are you talking about the Powerwall? Because that's a $6,600 cost just for the equipment alone. And Tesla needs to do a home assessment to see if it even qualifies. Typical installation cost ranges from $800 to $2,000, plus electrical upgrades (if necessary), taxes and permit fees. Don't really think these two systems compare.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page