Winter Tires - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Winter Tires

Living in upstate New York, in winter it can get bad that even a brand new set of all season tires won't do anything or you, so winter tires are a must if you like your life. I used to live in warmer climates where we never had to think about this. Although there's another 4-5 months before winter comes back again, I want to get recommendations on winter tires. A wheel and tire shop near me recommends Michelin X-ICE or Bridgestone Blizzak's. Doesn't anyone have experience with these on an EV? If not, what would you recommend?
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:40 AM

Never owned an electric before so these will be the first winter tires for an EV as well. They should all pretty much perform the same as they would on a gas car and the only concern would be the reduced range from the extra friction. Not much you can do on that end because that's what they were designed to do. Dunlop Winter MAXX is supposed to be a good one as well as the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage View Post
Never owned an electric before so these will be the first winter tires for an EV as well. They should all pretty much perform the same as they would on a gas car and the only concern would be the reduced range from the extra friction. Not much you can do on that end because that's what they were designed to do. Dunlop Winter MAXX is supposed to be a good one as well as the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3.
Thanks for those recommendations. I never seen it being different for gas or electric cars due to the fact there's so much beyond the car that we can't control. It's more about the tires and how you drive.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:54 AM

Don't think electrics require any special brand of winter tires over ICE models. Being a front wheel drive car, it should handle the rougher winter weather just fine. The Leafs one pedal mode should also significantly improve your control over the vehicle in the snow.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 AM

Think electrics will handle winter roads even better than gas because the underside is pretty much covered and protected by metal, so the salt won't get into all the important components. Just grab whatever tires you want and mount them on a set of steelies.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage View Post
Think electrics will handle winter roads even better than gas because the underside is pretty much covered and protected by metal, so the salt won't get into all the important components. Just grab whatever tires you want and mount them on a set of steelies.
It will get even better as more distilled self-driving tech gets introduced thus improving how it reacts before getting into certain situations. That's the biggest advantage of driving in the winter, seeing what you can/can't go through before you approach it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:54 AM

With both regenerative braking and engine braking, most of the issues commonly experienced in winter driving, will be significantly reduced in the Leaf. Personally I wouldn't cheap out on winter tires, because that's still going to have an impact on your braking distance.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
With both regenerative braking and engine braking, most of the issues commonly experienced in winter driving, will be significantly reduced in the Leaf. Personally I wouldn't cheap out on winter tires, because that's still going to have an impact on your braking distance.
None of that will help you come to a stop in a safe manner, regardless of what tech a vehicle has, tires are just as important, it not more than any advanced tech. Historically, tires are what safe winter weather driving comes down to. The rest gives you some advantage while in motion on flat roads.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:56 AM

Hello all. I'm a brand new 2018 Leaf owner in Colorado looking to put 16" winter tires + steelies on my SV this season. I'm having difficulty with matching tires because sites like Tirerack do not give a 16" wheel/tire combo option for the 2018 SV/SL trim.

The OEM tires on the SV are 215/50R17. Can anyone tell me if 205/55R16 Blizzaks on 16x6.5 steelies will fit the SV?

Thanks!
mapleleaf likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thliaoco View Post
Hello all. I'm a brand new 2018 Leaf owner in Colorado looking to put 16" winter tires + steelies on my SV this season. I'm having difficulty with matching tires because sites like Tirerack do not give a 16" wheel/tire combo option for the 2018 SV/SL trim.

The OEM tires on the SV are 215/50R17. Can anyone tell me if 205/55R16 Blizzaks on 16x6.5 steelies will fit the SV?

Thanks!
Having worked in dealerships and in quick service shops i know you can often variate the width a bit so 205's shouldn't be an issue. It's a size I often see on 16" wheels.
However, you should cross reference what i'm suggesting with some reputable wheel/tire shops, most have no problem giving over the phone advice on stuff like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page