e-Pedal feature - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

e-Pedal feature

So this e-Pedal feature is pretty much regenerative braking, and I heard that the Bolt has different levels for it. Will Nissan have the same option where the e-Pedal feature can be customized for more of less regenerative braking?
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 02:53 AM

Don't know about that but what I can tell you is that its no where near as jerky as the Bolt's system, like what you'd expect from a Japanese car maker its refined and brings you to a stop much smoother. That to me is a bonus.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Haven't test driven the Bolt yet, so I'm not a good judge of how jerky the braking system is. But I assume that's due to someone's personal settings to get as much out of braking as they can. I don't mind the Leaf no regenerating as much so long as it's smoother.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:19 AM

It has to do with cruise automation and how its sensors function from what I heard, that being the case maybe in future M.Y.'s we will see that change. Of all the good things that GM product has going for it, that's a small concern.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Not sure about sensors, but it'll definitely be smoothed out and more efficient over time. But the option to choose your level of brake should be the standard.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 08:53 AM

Seems some people online are claiming that the leaf actually generates more energy out of coasting than actual breaking. I hope the whole energy usage screen has been simplified, to make energy management a little more intuitive (no more pie charts).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage View Post
Not sure about sensors, but it'll definitely be smoothed out and more efficient over time. But the option to choose your level of brake should be the standard.
Sensory inputs are very important along with the tech behind them as that greatly impacts this, much like what you see in self driving cars these days (or the lack of it). As we see self driving cars improve so will things at a much smaller level like this tech.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:43 AM

Yeah I've heard that the regenerative braking can feel quite jarring to drivers, similar to how anti lock brakes can feel when braking too quickly. I for one, hate cars with ABS systems, but its rarely an option anymore. I know obviously its been implemented as a necessary safety feature, but man is it unenjoyable to drive with. Anyone here driven an electric with regenerative braking? I'm curious if the sensation is similar.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

ABS has its place and I don't mind having that in daily driver cars like the Leaf, but I have read that the Bolt's highest setting for regenerative braking can feel a bit jarring sometimes. Hopefully that will be a non issue for the Leaf.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 AM

Do the changes in settings for regenerative braking, greatly impact the recharge rate? From what I've seen about the Bolt, their are 4 driving modes that alter the level of regenerative braking. According to Chevy the stronger "one pedal" driving modes can result in a 5% boost to range.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page