Winter road trip - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Winter road trip

Road trips are pretty much the ultimate test for electric cars, especially in the wintertime when range takes a hit. Green Car Reports took theirs on a four day journey from New York City to Catskill Mountains and then from NYC to Philadelphia and back. At the end of their trip, the Leaf's trip computer showed them an energy-usage rate of 3.4 miles per kwh, which is to be expected when you use both seat warmers and cabin heating.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ad-trip-review
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:31 AM

Thanks for sharing, I've been waiting on a real winter test to determine just how severe an impact the cold has on the cars efficiency. I'm a little shocked that they used up 108 miles of range covering just 66 miles on the highway, but that's using heat and other features in the car as well. All in all the new Leaf seems to be a vast improvement over its predecessor, and seems capable of matching the performance found in the Bolt.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Maybe they haven't broken in the Leaf and it hasn't adjusted to their driving habits so the estimates could be off. I assumed it would make new calculations based on what you have turned on in the cabin, but I guess that's not the case.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:32 AM

It's for this reason alone that electric cars are doing so well in California. It's going to be an uphill battle to counteract the loss of range during the colder months in other regions. All it really means is you'll have to charge up at home on a more regular basis, which shouldn't be a deal breaker.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3alth View Post
It's for this reason alone that electric cars are doing so well in California. It's going to be an uphill battle to counteract the loss of range during the colder months in other regions. All it really means is you'll have to charge up at home on a more regular basis, which shouldn't be a deal breaker.
The other way around it too is to do the math on what range you actually need along with the fact of how much range a certain EV will get you.
If its a 35% degradation, and you actually need 35% of the vehicles entire range to get around, then you have a lot to play with.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 10:34 AM

There are plenty of EV's on the road in countries where a good portion of the year is spent in winter weather. It's important to note than even ICE's suffer from a loss of efficiency in the colder weather, though its not as magnified. Imo all the new electrics offer more than enough range for regular use, even with the decrease in winter. The new Jaguar I Pace is capable of 240+ miles.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
There are plenty of EV's on the road in countries where a good portion of the year is spent in winter weather. It's important to note than even ICE's suffer from a loss of efficiency in the colder weather, though its not as magnified. Imo all the new electrics offer more than enough range for regular use, even with the decrease in winter. The new Jaguar I Pace is capable of 240+ miles.
Valid point and I think if we were to poll people here on how many miles they actually do or have them log the mileage done then we would see that we maybe use 1/4 of the vehicles entire range before having the chance to charge up again to 100%
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:19 AM

I think range anxiety has been far exaggerated upon, and you'll find that most EV owners aren't worrying about where the nearest charge station is. For regular use, you'll have no problems commuting around and charging up once you get back home. Long trips on the highway seem to be the biggest range killers.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3alth View Post
I think range anxiety has been far exaggerated upon, and you'll find that most EV owners aren't worrying about where the nearest charge station is. For regular use, you'll have no problems commuting around and charging up once you get back home. Long trips on the highway seem to be the biggest range killers.
As seen with gasoline cars we should also see better highway mileage than in the city due to the lack of stop and go, when you are maintaining momentum for a long period of time it always works to your benefit.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

On the bright side, Leaf's e-Pedal driving is the most predictable among the BMW i3, Chevy Bolt EV, and Tesla Model 3. So there's no guessing when the car will come to a complete stop with one pedal driving, just weird that the car won't retain your prior settings and you have to turn it on every time you start the car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page