Carwow in depth review - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Carwow in depth review

Just wanted to share this video review of the new Nissan Leaf by Mat Watson. I love his reviews and how practical they are. He says that pound for pound, the new Leaf is currently the best electric on sale.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:12 AM

Gotta like a review with leaves in the armrest storage compartment. He got about 125 miles range out of his test drive, which is a good 25 miles below the manufacturer suggested mileage. Still enough as a daily driver, but disappointing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:20 AM

Isn't the new Leaf advertising 240km of range? Good thing that most people are aware that real world results are typically much lower than what's advertised. I think for this EV you need to look past its limited range, because all of the value is in its technology.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure that Nissan will continue to improve upon the Leafs range, as there is already indication that we may seeing a more capable battery pack. You definitely need to consider what you need in car before buying your first electric. Its in the inner city commuting where cars like the Leaf shine.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:16 PM

If more countries were closer to the electric infrastructure in Japan, there would be far less focus on the range of new EV's. We should stop waiting for automakers to improve their technology and instead make charge stations more readily available.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

If you come out to Cali we have plenty of charge stations, but even we are still a ways out from Japans EV infrastructure. I think the problem is, is that there is a huge inconsistency across regions in terms of support for electric cars. Whether it be incentives or availability of charge stations.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3alth View Post
If you come out to Cali we have plenty of charge stations, but even we are still a ways out from Japans EV infrastructure. I think the problem is, is that there is a huge inconsistency across regions in terms of support for electric cars. Whether it be incentives or availability of charge stations.
It comes down to practicality and cost of ownership, people wanting both have been buying cheap gasoline engine compacts. Its going to take a while for things to pick up but with the increase ranges we have to work with, a little planning of where you can charge and for how long goes a long way.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:09 AM

With all the electrics coming to market in the next few years, I'm sure we're going to see a huge increase in the availability of charge stations throughout the country. I am a little curious if some will be brand restricted such as the super chargers that Porsche will be implementing for the Mission E.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 12:55 PM

That's a concern when it comes to quick chargers because they seem to be more accessible to Tesla owners than the average joe. Most of the chargers I've seen are the regular ones and from various companies so you need a few membership charge cards. Just a pain and I wish they would consolidate everything.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

I think its inevitable that charging stations will support a wider variety of models in the future, but that's likely to come with an increase to charging costs. Both Walmart and Wholefoods have indicated that they will be implementing charging stations throughout the country.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page