Will changes to incentives decrease interest in the Leaf - 2018 Nissan Leaf EV Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Will changes to incentives decrease interest in the Leaf

As EV's continue to grow in popularity, many places such as Ontario are already beginning to scrap their tax rebates. Depending on the model this would decrease the entry price by several thousands of dollars, and made the jump a little less daunting for new adopters. Do you guys think that Nissan will have to make adjustments to pricing now that these are going away?
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:20 AM

I recently saw that Tesla is going after the Ontario government for the changes they have made to EV incentives. That's a pretty good indication from one of the main EV manufactures that these tax rebates make a huge difference in adoption rates.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:32 AM

I can understand people who are looking into an entry level EV being discouraged, but if you can afford a Tesla, surely you don't need a tax break for it. There also a chance that Nissan could drop the price on the base model, once the long range variant launches.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3alth View Post
I can understand people who are looking into an entry level EV being discouraged, but if you can afford a Tesla, surely you don't need a tax break for it. There also a chance that Nissan could drop the price on the base model, once the long range variant launches.
That's what I'm hoping for. I think $30k for a less than 200 mile range is going to become a tough ask, especially once new EV's like the Kona hit the market.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:48 AM

Due to Tesla's lawsuit against the Ontario government, they have already deemed the change to rebates as unfair and unlawful. This will now allow the brand to be subject to the grace period as opposed to ending immediately. Not sure what this could mean for other EV's as well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:40 AM

These incentives weren't going to last forever, and I anticipate that most counties will look to eliminate them prior to 2020, when we're likely to see a big shift in the industry. Pricing on entry level models will have to get much more competitive.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Until we get a better idea of what depreciation is going to be like on new electrics, I feel like there are going to be a low of owners who lease instead. There is also a good chance that we'll see a big jump in the standard range from one generation to the next.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:52 AM

That or car subscriptions services will become far more prominent. They already seem to be picking up a lot of traction overseas, and new products from Volvo and Lexus are being used to incentivize using them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3alth View Post
That or car subscriptions services will become far more prominent. They already seem to be picking up a lot of traction overseas, and new products from Volvo and Lexus are being used to incentivize using them.
Its a race to the bottom and we don't have to look far. A very common thing you see on the news and even in every day discussions is how much incomes have remained stagnant while inflation continues. The value of your dollar becomes less by the day. Any sane person would make cuts to spending and reduce debt as much as possible.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

The push for electrification had never about saving people money, that's just a long term side affect. But it we really a cleaner future, then that not only means relying less on petrol and diesel but also having less cars on the road in general.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page